Some of the steps that Leaders can take to gain respect include:
1. It’s okay to change your mind. A failing of many Leaders is the fear that changing their mind will make them look weak. As Jim points out, what is important is explaining the reason for the change.
2. Communicate clearly and regularly. While this sounds obvious, in practice it is the lack of regular communication that can isolate a Leader from the rest of the organisation.
3. Give regular feedback on performance. Honest feedback when staff are doing well – and not so well – is a key step in gaining respect.
4. Share the Leadership. Delegate and empower – but only when your team are ready. As Jim says, park your ego.
5. Admit when you screw up. This is a powerful way to demonstrate Leadership – especially when it is done publicly.
Go to Brent’s blog for the full list.